- Where is the program happening? —At the Diyanet Center of America, Lanham, MD.
- What’s the tentative schedule/program?
|Week 1 (July 1-7)||Week 2 (July (8-14)|
|Research Internship Preparatory (Grade 10-12);||College Prep & Leadership (Grade 9-12)|
|ACSL & Cybersecurity (Grade 7-10)||Web App Dev & Multimedia (Grade 8-12)|
- Is there any arrangement for students’ lunch?Students can order their lunches, however, light snacks and water will be provided.
- Will there be anything to facilitate the commute? We will try to facilitate car-pooling for students coming from adjacent locations. Good thing is that out of the seven days, three days are weekend/holiday, which is designed to facilitate the commute.
- What about laptop use? Students will have to bring their own laptops, which they will be allowed to use ONLY when instructed by the instructor. There will be separate guidance for all electronic device usage.
- Is there any fun part of the program? First of all, we think the whole program will be a bit intense, challenging, but rewarding, meaning there would be some serious hard-earned fun there inshaAllah. In addition, everyday we will have two-hour break for salah, lunch, and Gym/pool activities at the Diyanet Center. Working in collaboration with other students should be fun too, we hope!
- How many instructors will be teaching in this program? InshaAllah, we will have more than 15 professionals and College students to teach in this program. When we get all the commitments finalized, the roster will be posted.
- How will the high-school student select a project? First, students will go through a brainstorming session on a pool of research project topics proposed by the potential mentors and students themselves. They will also be provided the Islamic context of the problem, the type of data collection/analysis, and a step-by-step methods of writing a proposal. Based on all these, students will come up with a research project proposal.
- How will the students be selected for the paid research internship after this program? What are some sample research projects the high-schoolers will do? http://cooolsummerschool.org/research-internship/
- What is the duration of the paid research internship for the selected students? The expectation is that students will complete the proposed research project working 60 additional hours during the rest of the summer (mostly between July 15 and September 15). The payment will be for these 60 hours of effort. More info will be posted at http://my-fikr.org/